I was born and raised in Malaysia, and currently live in England.
I mostly write speculative fiction, with the occasional foray into romance. I am represented by Caitlin Blasdell of Liza Dawson Associates. My ideal book would probably be a version of Anne of Green Gables, set in Asia. With dragons!
My debut novel Sorcerer to the Crown is the first in a historical fantasy trilogy, published by Ace Books (US) and Pan Macmillan (UK and Commonwealth) from September 2015. Find out more about it here!
For a proper bio and other helpful things, please check out my press kit.
Spirits Abroad was a joint winner of the Crawford Award, along with Stephanie Feldman’s novel The Angel of Losses.
I have not won any other awards, so that heading should really be in the singular. But here are some other occasions on which my name was mentioned in proximity to an award!
- I’ve been nominated in two categories in the 2016 British Fantasy Awards, Best Newcomer and Best Fantasy Novel for Sorcerer to the Crown. Sorcerer to the Crown is also a Locus Awards finalist for Best First Novel.
- Spirits Abroad was a 2015 finalist and Cyberpunk: Malaysia a 2016 finalist in the Popular-The Star Readers’ Choice Awards.
- I was nominated for the 2013 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.
- My novelette The House of Aunts and short story 起狮，行礼 (Rising Lion — The Lion Bows) were listed among the Carl Brandon Society Awards 2011 Honors.
- My short story First National Forum on the Position of Minorities in Malaysia was a finalist in the Selangor Young Talent Awards 2011, and was nominated for the Pushcart Prize.
Interviews and podcasts
Click here for interviews and podcasts with me.
Click here for a bio in varying lengths, contacts for rights and publicity queries, and downloadable author photos and cover images.
Frequently asked questions
Got a question for me? It might be answered in my FAQ!